Friday, September 23, 2005

Editing blogger comments

Ok, once I am a little more active about posting to this blog, I get spam comments. I did not want to block anonymous posting because I have previous feedback from friends saying that they want to post comments but don't want to log on to Blogger. So do I have to put up with spam comments?? No, but all I could do previously was to (rudely) delete the whole comment post, leaving some others scratching their heads about why a comment was deleted (it only shows up in my blog as 'comment deleted').

By default Blogger does not have a link to allow me to edit comments, it only has a trash can icon allowing me to delete comments. Google brought me to the Blogger templates site, which has a quick hack to bring me to the edit comments page.

On closer inspection, basically the hack works on the fact that comment posts are also identified by blog ID and post ID. The trash can icon link contains these information, but it is for the delete-comment.g URL. The Blogger template hack simply replaces the URL to post-edit.g. Hmm, maybe I can try my hand at writing a simple GreaseMonkey script to add the edit comment link beside the trash can icon. That will be for later. :)

[update] Found a blogger comments editor at userscripts.org, but it seems to only add the link to the page for adding new comments.

[update2] Ok, I was ignorant, just learnt that Blogger has a feature to turn on captcha (word verification) feature for comments.

Filed in: