Thursday, July 27, 2006

You want home theatre system?

The last thing I expected from the fellow driver who pulled up alongside my car while stopping at a red-light junction was the question: "You want home theatre system?"

I was on my way to work in the late morning today, and stopped at a red-light junction. I heard some loud thumping coming from my left, and the driver in the van that pulled up beside me caught my attention. Having past experiences of kind-hearted fellow road users giving suitable warnings like "switch on your headlight", I thought this was another case, and thought to myself whether I have missed anything this time round.

I scrolled down my car window, and the driver popped the question, "You want home theatre system?" It took me a while to digest that, but before I completely understood him, he continued, "I took out too many units, if I send back to my boss, he will also sell away, so might as well give away."

Give away? For free? There is no free lunch, and so I asked him, "For free?"

"You give me a beer treat lah, I give you the system." Yah, sure, exchanging goods worth a few hundreds, or even thousand dollars for a couple of beer. Alarm bells started to sound in my head, and I quickly waved away, "No, sorry, I don't want that."

"You treat me to beer only, don't want?" "Sorry no. Thanks." With that, the green light came on at the same time, and we both went our separate ways.

Reflecting on this incident, any of the following scenarios is possible:
- It is a scam, cheating someone of maybe a hundred or two on beer money in exchange for faulty goods.
- The goods are stolen goods.
- The employee really hates the employer to his guts and took the opportunity of a big delivery to make some fast bucks, before going MIA from the employer.

All of the above cases involves illegal acts, which I believe is happening everyday around Singapore. The alarming thing is that manner in which people (or victims) are being approached now, openly and without fear. Does this show how desparate the guy is now? What are the fundamental reasons for such desparate behaviour? Food for though, my friend.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha ... relax ... perhaps there is a camera somewhere and before you know it, you are on TV with one of those "Just for Laugh" show ... hahaha.

Or perhaps not ...

Anyway, that went into my mind when I first read your story.

Anonymous said...

I think everyone has a dream of having a home theatre on their own house. This will be a great place for family bonding but this kind of system also requires a huge amount of money. But your incident is some kinda different and I don't think there is someone who will give that system for free or just a trade for a piece of beer. May be your right, its a scam.

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

This is the same old line that has been used in countless scams.

I have encountered guys with the same story except it was for speakers at the back of a van in the UK.

I have heard this story several times in the past.

dunPanic said...

Yah, at the point of writing this, the scams were not so widely known and the mass media had not caught on to it yet.